In Smari lies the largest excavated archaeological site, the Acropolis, on top of the hill of Prophet Elias, on a projection of the ground, with dimensions 30 x 40 m. (Troulli) and within a strong enclosure. The architectural remains suggest continuous use of the area from the Middle Minoan period until the Oriental Era (1800 – 630 BC).
Excavations have been made around the village of Smari, which have revealed ten facilities dating from the Minoan to Roman times. The most remarkable of them which can be visited are: the domed tomb on the hill “Leivaditsa” and a farmhouse of the Roman period at the entrance of the village. It seems that the hill was the center of worship and residential interest in the region.